With the holiday season looming ever closer, warehouse and logistics managers all over the country are reading their warehouses for the Christmas rush. Many sectors do upwards of 50% of their business over this busy time, so if you haven’t already, now is the time to review your warehouse processes to ensure you can handle the surge!
Several key focus areas should be covered in your warehouse review…
Nothing grinds a warehouse to a standstill like an accident or Worksafe Infringement Notice. Warehouses are amongst the most dangerous places to work in Australia, and nearly 70% of warehouse injuries are due to dangers manual handling, trips, slips and falls. Protect your warehouse staff with a few simple measures:
- Proper safety guards on all machines
- Designated walkways, barriers and handrailing to separate staff from forklifts
- Install handrailing, pallet loading gates and staircases to allow safe access to mezzanine floors
- Well-lit warehouses and easy to read signage will help overall operating performance, not just safety
- Consider getting a rack safety audit to maintain compliance with Australian Standard AS4084:2012, it’s imperative your racking is regularly audited and checked for damage at least every 12 months.
STOCK ORDERING PROJECTIONS
Start with the end in mind… be clear on what you’ll need to stock, and work backwards from there. Retailers and other ‘holiday heavy’ sectors typically receive 40-50% of their orders over the last quarter of the year, so understanding order projections is critical.
WHAT ARE YOUR PALLET RACKING NEEDS?
Holiday-focused warehouses often incur a massive 40% rise in inventory, and despite the fact it turns at a much higher rate than the rest of the year, product often arrives many months before it sells. To ensure you have the right amount and type of pallet racking, consider:
• What happened this time last year… were there any specific issues or needs, what can we learn from it
• Do we need to consolidate our pallet racking to free up space for new rack?
• Are our main rack locations completely full, or is their additional space we can use?
• Is there un-used space, can we add more pallet racking ie above flow rack, or via a mezzanine flor?
YOUR WAREHOUSE LAYOUT
In growing or changing businesses, sometimes a few extra bays of racking isn’t enough… a deeper review is needed, and your warehouse layout is vital. Do you have enough space? Is your receiving, inventory and shipping all set for the surge in activity? A review of your layout by an experienced warehouse storage specialist can make a big difference, and many reputable storage providers will do this free of charge.
Despite major developments in technology from automation and AI to the ‘internet of things’, your staff remain critical to a high functioning warehouse. Be clear on your needs and work with your HR department to ensure you’re fully staffed for the holiday period
Preparing your warehouse for the Christmas rush will ensure you make the most of this critical time.
Bowen Storage offers leading workplace solutions to help maximize the potential of your current warehouse’s storage capacity by unlocking the empty space above. For more ideas on how to increase your storage capacity, contact Bowen Storage today on 1300 780 654.